en.swpat.org is a wiki. You can edit it. It may contain statements End Software Patents does not endorse.
End Software Patents
- (Note: End Software Patents hosts this wiki and wrote most or all of this page)
End Software Patents (ESP) is a campaign to abolish software patents, launched in February 2008. ESP is supported by Free Software Foundation (FSF), Software Freedom Law Center, and Public Patent Foundation, and has received financing from FSF.
 2008, under Ben Klemens
In 2008, under the direction of Ben Klemens, ESP produced the 2008 State of Software Patents which highlights that non-software companies are now often victims of software patent litigation, and that the cost of software patent litigation to USA companies can be estimated at $11.26 billion per year.
 2009 to present, under Ciarán O'Riordan
As well as participating in consultations and court cases, ESP provides documentation and raises awareness so that other organisations will also participate.
ESP's actions include:
- Participation via amicus curiae to the US Supreme Court for the Bilski v. Kappos case: amicus-bilski-2009
- Participation in the USPTO's 2010 subject matter consultation: ESP responds to USPTO consultation
- Raising awareness and providing support documenting for consultations in:
- Publishing text versions of leaked ACTA documents
 ESP Australia
- (Main article: ESP Australia)
There is also an active and successful group in Australia, lead by Ben Sturmfels.
- ESP's main site: endsoftwarepatents.org
- ESP's donations page
 Press coverage
- Ending software patents: Has the time come?, Fortune, February 2008
- Groklaw looks at ESP's Supreme Court brief for Bilski, 2009
- Ars Technica looks at the in re Bilski briefs, including ESP's, April 2008
- Interview: Ciaran O'Riordan of End Software Patents, March 2009
- (These articles are in addition to http://endsoftpatents.org/news)
- Europe’s Software Innovation Under Threat From Patents, Oct 2010 - pages 6 and 7
- Abandoning software patents?, 6 Nov 2009
This wiki is part of the End Software Patents (ESP) campaign (donate). For more information, see: