ESP Australia has been focussed on the proposal for new patent legislation in Australia. Having missed the government's consultation on the matter in 2009, Ben Sturmfels organised a petition against software patents - first online, then an official petition with signatures on paper. This was accepted by the government and lead them to organise a hearing on the issue in January 2012 where Sturmfels explained the reasons for abolishing software patents.
The campaign and the legislative proposal are ongoing.
Sturmfels has also given presentations about this issue at large software conferences.
- ESP's australia-public-discuss mailing list
- ESP news about Australia from news.swpat.org
 Presentations and recordings
- Presentation at Linux.conf.au, January 2012 (video)
- Recording of Ben Sturmfels at the House Committee hearing in reaction to the petition against software patents
- Presentation from November 2011
This wiki is part of the End Software Patents (ESP) campaign (donate). For more information, see: