ADDING LINKS IS TEMPORARILY BLOCKED - if you want to add a link, just put a space in it so that it doesn't work. The admin will then fix the link for you very quickly. This will be fixed as soon as I have the new spam blocking system in place.
Which sectors are for and against
 Certain sectors
- Patent lawyers are for software patents
- SMEs are against
- The free software community is against
- Some venture capitalists are strongly against. Maybe "most", but I haven't dug into it.
Indeed, most major software firms and inventors opposed patents for software through the mid-1990s. See Bessen & Meurer, at 22, 189; see also Effy Oz, Acceptable Protection of Software Intellectual Property: A Survey of Software Developers and Lawyers, 34 Info. & Mgmt. 161, 167 (1998) (reporting that 86% of surveyed software developers chose copyright over patent as their preferred avenue of protection).
Attributed to "Bessen & Meurer, at 22":
the majority of software firms still do not obtain patents, and most software patents are awarded to firms in other industries.
 Finding the position of a specific company
The most reliable way to know a company's position is by checking for submissions to consultations from patent offices, governments, and courts. In these documents, the authors explain their real hopes, unlike press releases and public statements whose focus is on making the company look good to everyone.
 Related pages on en.swpat.org
- Patent ownership breakdown
- Who lobbied for software patents
- Changes in company policy over time
- Why companies apply for software patents
- Surveys and statements showing that everyone except governments and patent lawyers are against swpats
- Scientists against, Europe 2003
This wiki is part of the End Software Patents (ESP) campaign (donate). For more information, see: