When Patents Attack
"When Patents Attack!" is a radio documentary made by This American Life, based on extensive investigative journalism. It aired in July 2011 and was also published as an article.
The documentary is a particularly informative look at the harm caused by patent trolls to software businesses, but it has to be kept in mind that trolls are not the biggest problem caused by software patents.
A follow-up, When Patents Attack ... Part Two! was published in May 2013.
Ironically, When Patents Attack! was released in the patented MP3 format.
 Overview of findings in part 1
 Overview of findings in part 2
 Related pages on en.swpat.org
- More than trolls
- Patent trolls
- Sources of software patent news
- List of recordings and transcripts
- Books about software and patents
- Studies on economics and innovation
 The documentary
- When Patents Attack! - original article, 22 July 2011
- 441: When Patents Attack! - radio documentary, 22 July 2011
- Announcing part 2 - for Sunday the 2nd of June 2013?
- This American Life airing sequel to Intellectual Ventures investigation, promising new revelations, 31 May 2013, geekwire
- FSF's petition asking for the audio to be published in a patent-free format
This wiki is part of the End Software Patents (ESP) campaign (donate). For more information, see: