Harms to education
Patents on software harm education at all levels. Software patents create legal costs and risks for computer learners who study the software they use, and they introduce uncertainty regarding the use of the skills learned in higher education.
Related pages on en.swpat.org
- Freedom of expression
- Blocking innovation and research
- Jobs and skills - which also deals with the problem of learned skills being unusable
- Blackboard inc. - a company which has used software patents against education projects
- Discussion paper by European Schoolnet / Insight, December 2004
- BBC: Patent battle over teaching tools, August 2006 regarding Blackboard inc.
This wiki is part of the End Software Patents (ESP) campaign (donate). For more information, see: