en.swpat.org is a wiki. You can edit it. It may contain statements End Software Patents does not endorse.
Rockstar Consortium and the Nortel patents
It has 4,000 patents which were bought from Nortel, a telecommunications equipment manufacturer that went bankrupt. Nortel originally obtained those patents for defensive purposes, so this goes to show that "defensive" patents can easily become aggressive patents.
 Related pages on en.swpat.org
- CPTN Holdings LLC - a similar organisation, also with MS and Apple, but using old Novell patents
- Patent trolls - Rockstar will be called a troll, but it's more accurately a sock puppet of the founding companies
- More than trolls
 News selection
- Apple And Microsoft Behind Patent Troll Armed With Thousands Of Nortel Patents, 23 May 2012, Techdirt
- How Apple and Microsoft Armed 4,000 Patent Warheads, 21 May 2012, Wired
- In patent wars, the casualty is progress, 5 Oct 2011, Ottawa Citizen
- Dealtalk: Google bid "pi" for Nortel patents and lost, 1 Jul 2011, Reuters
- Apple, RIM in group buying Nortel patents for US$4.5B, 30 Jun 2011, CNet
- Bid for Nortel patents marks Google's new push into mobile world, 13 Apr 2011, Global Mail
This wiki is part of the End Software Patents (ESP) campaign (donate). For more information, see: