Multimedia Home Platform
Multimedia Home Platform (MHP) is a standard which has patent problems.
The MHP specification for broadcasting and interactive television, which has been adopted by the DVB Project. The DVB Project has worked to simplify licensing of the necessary patents, but does not seem interested in making the specification free from patents.
One side of the problem was solved in 2008 when Via removed the licence fees for free-to-air broadcasters, however, the problem remains for manufacturers or individuals who build a receiver.
- (in Spanish) July 2007: MHP: Standardisation, Intellectual Property, and commercial deployment
- A blog which lists some improvements that have been made to the licensing situation
- mhp.org page with licensing information
OpenMHP is a free software MHP implementation which seems to have disappeared.
- www.OpenMHP.org - archive.org copy of site which disappeared in September 2007
- openmhp.org download page, which unfortunately says you need to log into the site to download it, which is impossible now
- OpenMHP page on digiTV.fi
This wiki is part of the End Software Patents (ESP) campaign (donate). For more information, see: